Mountain Locality (Büyükorhan, Keles, Orhaneli, Harmancık) Orhangazi The former name of Orhangazi to the west of Iznik Lake was Pazarköy. Originally established with the name, Basilinopolis in 4th century B.C. remainedfor a long time as a village attached to Iznik. It became a district center in 1893. It was renamed Orhangazi in 1913 after the conquerorof the city Orhan Ghazi. District is based upon agriculture and industry. Olive and fruit productioning the field of agriculture has considerably developed. It has been the fastest growing district of Bursa owing to its developing industry.
Located 96 km to the south of Bursa, Büyükorhan was most probably a tiny village established in the 16th century. It remained attached to Orhaneli until 1987,when it became a district. As a settlement consisting of three nomad groups, it was named “Orhan-I Kebir” after Orhan Bey, who conquered the area. During the Republican Period it was given the name, “Büyükorhan”. Inhabited by around 20 thousand people, Büyükorhan has not been developed much owing to its farawayness to Bursa. The main source of livelihood of the district is agriculture and animal-husbandry.
Originally named Adranos, Orhaneli, located to the south of Bursa, was named after Hadrianus, the Roman Emperor. It was renamed Orhaneli in 1913 after Orhan Bey who conquered the region. Remaining for a long time as the center of districts of Harmanc›k, Keles and Büyükorhan of the Mountain Locality, the administrative juris diction of Orhaneli shrank once the above-mentioned districts were established. The source of livelihood of the people is agriculture and animal-husbandry.The thermal power station at the district is a significant source of livelihood for the people in the region.
Being a village attached to Orhaneli for many years,the name most probably originates from the refugees coming from the Keles Region in Central Asia. It became a subdistrict and district center in 1931 and 1953, respectively. Majority of the inhabitants of the district engage with agriculture and animal-husbandry. Particularly,strawberry and cherry production is developed very much at the district. Mainly composed of Yuruk villages, Keles is the center of the richest folk dances and folklore in Bursa.
Located to the south of Bursa, Harmancık was first a subdistrict attached to Orhaneli District and in 1987, it was made a district under the law no. 3392. Veysioğlu, the notable of the Mountain locality ,lived at his mansion at the district center, formerly known as Çarşı. This mansion is one of the most important notable’s mansions of our country. The vast majority of the inhabitants of the district engage with agriculture. There are numerous mines in the district.
Mustafa Kemal Paşa
Originally known as Kirmasti, Mustafa Kemal Paşa was a Byzantine city. Because he saved our country and this district, it was renamed “Mustafa Kemal Paşa” in 1922 after our savior. The population in the district center exceeds 100 thousand. Industry based on agriculture has been developed in the district. In the Organized Industrial Zone are mainly found food stuff such as flour, fodder and dairy products.
The old name for Karacabey, located to the west of Bursa, was Michaelic. Michaelic founded during the Byzantine Period was named Karacabey after (Uncle) Karacabey. Industry in Karacabey has been developed upon agriculture and besides its tomato paste and flourfactories, it has created the internationally acclaimeddairy products trademark, SÜTAŞ. Also developed in the production of potato and onion, Karacabey has become well-known for its, “mahlaç cheese” as well. The famous horse farm (Hara) known for arabian horse and sheep breeding has also beenthe most important trademark of Karacabey.
Situated to the northeast of Bursa by 32 km and on a bay named after it, which is the quietest bay of the Sea of Marmara, Gemlik is the most ancient city of Bursa established in Bursa about three millennia ago. Its name was derived from the first shipyard (“gemilik”) established by the Turks. Carrying the name ‘Kius’, Gemlik, during the era of Britain, was called ‘Prusa ad Mara’, Bursa on the Seashore.Having been enriched with olive that has become associated with it (Gemlik Olive) and silk manufacturing for centuries, Gemlik used to be an important port and shipyard of the Ottoman State. Harboring numerous historical monuments that have survive dup till today, Gemlik also possesses ArmutluThermal Springs besides those of the Municipality,which are an important tourist center.Economy of the district is based upon agriculture,industry, tourism and fishery. Their industrial facilities engage with textiles, synthetic thread, plasticpipes, artificial fertilizer and food products such ascanned food. Most of its industrial facilities, apart from olive and soap manufacturing plants are large corporations.
Located to the east of the lake that carries its name,Iznik was established 2400 years ago. Deriving it sold name from Nicaea, Iznik harbors a large number of monuments dating back to the Roman,Byzantine and early Ottoman Periods. Iznik was the city where the First Council and Seventh Consul, which were very important for Christendom convened in 325 and 787, respectively.Being the most important center for glazed tileround the world, Iznik has resumed glaze tile manufacturing today.
Name of Inegöl established in the Roman Periodprobably originates from Angelokome. Located to the east of Bursa and where about 200 thousand people live, is today an important industrial center.Timber products industry and particularly furniture industry has been developed very much in the district. There exist hundreds of factories in its Organized Industrial Zone established in 1976. Well known for its Oylat Thermal Springs and kofte,İnegöl is as developed as a province.
Established as an Ionian colony in the 7th century B.C., Mudanya was first named Mirleia, then Apamia and finally Montania. Name ‘Mudanya’ came from a change of Montania. Being a village attached to Kite/Ürünlü for many years, Mudanya became a district center in the 19th century. Becoming well-known by the Armistice that put anend to our War of Independence on 11 October 1922, Mudanya has been an important port city. Serving as the port of Bursa for centuries, Mudanya is similarly functioning today as the most important port of Bursa. Because of its proximity to Bursa and its seashore, Mudanya is the holiday resort of Bursa. Its main source of livelihood is olive growing. Industry ispartially developed in the district. In the city center of Mudanya, Trilye, Sighi/Kumkaya and Dereköy predominantly lived Christians until 1922. The historical houses in Mudanya are the most important examples of the civilian architecture of Bursa. Greek Church that is in use today as Uğur Mumcu Cultural Center is the strongest church of Bursa that has managed to survive to this day.
The former name of Orhangazi to the west of Iznik Lake was Pazarköy. Originally established with the name, Basilinopolis in 4th century B.C. remainedfor a long time as a village attached to Iznik. It became a district center in 1893. It was renamed Orhangazi in 1913 after the conquerorof the city Orhan Ghazi. District is based upon agriculture and industry. Olive and fruit productioning the field of agriculture has considerably developed. It has been the fastest growing district of Bursa owing to its developing industry.